Tuesday, October 24, 2006

# 7. John 14:21 & 23 NIV

John 14:21&23 NIV

“Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him… If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.”

10/10/06-10/12/06

If you love someone, you will do what they ask of you in order to demonstrate your love. If you love someone who is in authority over you, you will obey – trusting that what they ask of you is good – thereby showing your love and trust. How much more does this apply to God – who alone is worthy of all our love and every bit of our faith and trust. For God to come to us, to make His home with us and in us forever – is there anything any better?
“Show my self to him” – to open our eyes and our hearts that we may truly know Him. By His Spirit in us, He teaches us about Himself from scripture and enables us to understand. He shows us who He is and reveals His will to us that we may obey. If we truly love and obey Him, He will reveal more of Himself and His will to us. If we do not obey what we do know, why should He show us more? Those who seek to know His will so that they may obey – whatever it is – will be shown. God does not hide from us, but He wants us to know Him. For this very reason He created us, became human like us, died for us, and gave scripture to us – that we might know Him. That knowing right now is imperfect. Sin distorts our view, but the day will come when we will “see face to face” and “know in full even as (we are) fully known” (1st Corinthians 13:12). We will have clear vision to “see Him as He (truly) is” (1st John 3:2-3) and then we will finally be fully like Christ.

No comments: